Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Words.....

... they are powerful weapons...  Ones that can build up .. or just as quickly tear down. 
I was witness to that this past weekend.  I was flustered and frustrated with my computer and was trying to get support help.  I finally found the phone number, punched the appropriate numbers, and after 15 minutes of holding... got disconnected.  This meant I had to go through all this yet again.  Sweet Pea was extremely clingy and kept asking me to hold her.  Finally, to quiet her down...I picked her up.  She promptly started drawing on my laptop.  I snapped.  Now, keep in mind that we have told her over and over again to ONLY color on paper.  She has graced our walls, our floors, our TV, and our furniture with her special art.   The coloring on my computer... well, lets just say her timing was way off.... I grabbed her crayon, reminded her loudly that she was only to color on paper and to go sit in time out.  Now.. granted it was not the words, but the tone of the words.... but none the less... she was broken.  Her little lip quivered and her eyes looked fearful.  I've not given her any reason to be afraid of me.... but things did happen in her past before we got her that must have sparked a reminder.  I felt horrible.  Four days later I am still lamenting over it.  She has possibly forgotten the incident... I have not. 

By the same token.... my Sweet Pea is very bright, happy, and talented.  She thrives on praise... (don't we all)? We constantly tell her how much we love her.  She knows she is loved by our words and actions.


One thing I am going to purpose to work on.... self control ... of my mouth.   Think before I speak.... could be the challenge of a lifetime :o)







James 1:19-20, 26-27,
1:19 Understand this, my dear brothers and sisters! Let every person be quick to listen, slow to speak, slow to anger. 20 For human anger does not accomplish God’s righteousness.
26 If someone thinks he is religious yet does not bridle his tongue, and so deceives his heart, his religion is futile. 27 Pure and undefiled religion before God the Father is this: to care for orphans and widows in their misfortune and to keep oneself unstained by the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment