Monday, July 20, 2009

Family Reunion...

No thumps on the head this time... :o)
(at least as far as I know right now!)

A group of my cousins are on Facebook. We have gotten together and chatted about the fun times of the past, and goings on of the present. Through these chats back and forth, an impromptu gathering was set. We met together this past weekend.
.
There was plenty of good food, laughs, and songs. It was really great to see family that I had not seen in well over 15 years. It was great to see the next generation and their kids as well. Sadly, not all could attend due to the short notice. And sadly, not all got the word in time, otherwise they would have been able to attend. We missed you guys that didn't get to come, but rest assured, another more organized reunion is in the works!

As I was looking over at my cousins, it occured to me... hey, we are now playing the roles of our aunts and uncles and our kids and grandkids are running around like we use to do. It made me feel like Tevye in Fiddler on the Roof... Oy Vey... Sunrise, sunset... Sigh... where has the time gone? When did I grow older?

It really made me smile to think about all the gatherings of the past. I can just picture it in my mind... those green and white webbed aluminum lawn chairs, the aunts and uncles sitting round laughing and talking about their old times... us kids running around and having a great time.... only to go home that night and get our lysol baths! LOL, yup, you heard me... Lysol baths! I guess we got pretty filthy!

Now here we were in our canvas chairs, sitting around eating and laughing, remembering OUR good times together. Yup, good times... our moms would pack us a big brown grocery bag for lunch, complete with a 1/2 gallon glass juice jar full of mixed flavored koolaid and shoo us out the door with the threat to not come back until dinner! We'd cross the river, climb the mountain, and play on the railroad tracks. I can remember one time I took my peanut butter and marshmallow cream sandwich and pulled it apart to lay across the rails. My young mind actually thought that my sticky marshmallow cream and peanut butter would possibly make the train get stuck. Imagine my horror to find out the next morning that the train was stopped up in front of Grandma & Daddy Pete's home. I just knew I had derailed that train and I was terrified I would be found out!! Sigh... good times! There were many tales to tell. The only difference is I'm betting not one of us took our younguns' home and tossed them in a tub of Lysol!!

Yup, we're the new generation of elders here now and we are picking up the torch the current generation is holding out to us. Hopefully our kids will pick up the torch from us and allow it to carry on...

No comments:

Post a Comment