Thursday, July 23, 2009

Storms and distractions

I've been following a blog lately by Roz Savage (check her out at http://rozsavage.blogspot.com/ )
This amazing lady is rowing her boat from Hawaii to Austrailia. All alone.... Just her... in a boat.... that she has to self propel! It facinates me that anyone would tackle such a task. I'm in awe of her, to be honest. I don't know that I would ever have the courage to attempt a row from a pier to the shore, much less across an ocean!

Yup, I'm a scaredy cat! As I mentioned before, if I can't touch the bottom, I don't like it! I need that comforting solid ground to stand on. It is hard for me to fathom doing something like this. The forces she has to come up against are amazing. Wind, currents, rain, and the occasional birds Currently she is battling the ITCZ (Intertropical Convergence Zone ) and that force is causing her rowing to be counter productive. Can you imagine waking up to find out you are 15 miles further away than you were when you went to bed?

Sometimes I feel like I am, at the very least, on the edge of the ITCZ. I come against forces where I feel often that I take one step forward and three back. Along with the wind that blows there are storms that come. Situations that cause me to be distracted and loose focus. I wish there was a doplar radar that would show me when a force is on the way so that I could be prepared for it. In reality, however, like the ITCZ, there will always be storms. There will always be winds that blow me off course. It can be exhausting. It can be frustrating. But, it can also be a time for rest. I just need to learn to hang on and enjoy the ride.


Isaiah 40:31 (New International Version) 31 but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

Photo by NASA

No comments:

Post a Comment