Sunday, July 26, 2009

Rainbows...

I love a rainbow. They are a beautiful display of color that take my breath away. Usually when I see one, it reminds me of Noah and the ark and the promise from God. Often when I see them, it is at a time where I am deeply troubled by something. And, typically, when I do see a rainbow, I take it as a sign from Him. I feel He is telling me that everything is going to be fine.

This afternoon, there was a storm outside that was followed by sunshine. I ran to each of the windows to see if I could see a rainbow. I wanted to show one to our Sweet Pea. Alas, there was no rainbow to show her.
.
It did, however, remind me that Buddy and I had taken a picture of one last year. We saw this rainbow while driving down the interstate last July and there was no explaination as to why it was there. I can explain rainbows where there has been rain, but there was no rain when we saw this. But there it was, all stretched out across the sky, in all it's beauty. (Trust me, this picture does not do it justice!) The interesting part is that I didn't realize until a whole year later that this appeared at a crucial time in our lives.
.
As I reflect on the past year, I realize now that God was telling us that He is in control. He gave me a sign before I even knew I needed one. He did not need the rain to make that rainbow appear. There was a storm about to enter in our lives but the storm was going to produce a beautiful rainbow. As of this writing, I have not seen one since that day.
.
As I look down at my beautiful grandbaby as she is playing in the floor, I know in my heart that she is meant to be here with us. She came to live with us full time a month after we saw that rainbow. We have been entrusted with her life, both physical and spiritual.
.
Some have said that she is blessed to be with us. I say we are the blessed ones.

Deuteronomy 6:6-7 (New International Version)
6 These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. 7 Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.
.
Proverbs 22:6 (New International Version)
6 Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment