Sunday, August 30, 2009

Contentment...

As I said before, my husband and I run a business out of our home.  We plant storks in the yards of new parents to annouce the birth of their new bundle of joy.  Some of these homes are 1/2 milllion dollar homes and more.  They have their BMW's and Mercedes parked in the driveway.  These are, for the most part, young families.  Unless there really is a money tree, for the life of me I cannot figure out how they can possibly afford these homes and cars. What do these young men and women do to make such good money?  It baffles my mind.  Oh I guess that if my husband was still working at UPS, we would be in much better shape.... but alas, we are just grateful that he was not killed by that negligent driver.  We've adjusted to the loss of income... but still.... I seriously doubt we'd be able to afford the homes and cars that these young kids have (oh my, I sound like a old geezer!!) 

I met with my cousin yesterday for a brief visit... too brief.  Wish we could have visited longer, but alas I had another obligation to fulfill so we had to cut it short.  Hopefully next time we can make a day of it!  We talked about this and that as we tried to catch up on the years past.  There was one thing that stuck in my mind.  She mentioned that she and her husband had also talked about the high dollar homes and the people that afford them.  Her husband told her simply, that there is a secret to wealth and that they just were not privy to that secret.  I guess not everyone is meant to have wealth.  Not real sure why, but it appears that my husband and I are also not privy to that secret.  Another thing my cousin imparted to me...  She knew she would never be a millionaire because she gives things away rather than saving for her future.  She is a giver.  The other side of that is that she reaps from sowing the seeds of giving.  Bottom line, though, she is content and happy.  She is waiting for her riches when she gets to heaven.

We have been a double income family in the past; and have enjoyed the benefits of such.  We have also had to do with less.  We have always had what we needed.  I guess that is where we fall into realizing that we need to be content where we are.   My cousin has the secret after all...

Philippians 4:11-13 (New International Reader's Version)

11 I'm not saying that because I need anything. I have learned to be content no matter what happens to me. 12 I know what it's like not to have what I need. I also know what it's like to have more than I need. I have learned the secret of being content no matter what happens. I am content whether I am well fed or hungry. I am content whether I have more than enough or not enough. 13 I can do everything by the power of Christ. He gives me strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment